Pages

Monday, March 29, 2010

TORNADOS and ME go way BACK....

Today there was a tornado warning.... Lots of bad storms, looks like warnings, watches, etc.. will be all night long.
Guess who will be up all night long tonight while most all of Lexington is sleeping in their beds with no thoughts of the storms...that would be ME.

See, I have a past with these things.....
and now I just cannot seem to take them for granted, they are serious when they happen and they can just pop up so fast when the conditions are right....

So tonight I will be downing the coffee, and spending some time with my Lord, asking for PEACE.

After all these years my heart still races a million miles an hour at the word TORNADO.

There was a big tornado that did MAJOR DAMAGE in Lexingon when I was in high school.

Do ya'll remember that one?
Does it effect you too?
Where were you when it hit?

I was in the drive through at BoJangles, with 3 little kids in the car (and my brother).
To actually see this massive torando right behind you,
 to hear it,
to feel it.
WOW , was it something that will be with me forever.
I had to run out of the car and into the store, with the kids, and get them under a table and lay on top of them. All the windows shattered, but we were safe. When it was over, and we walked outside. My car was there, all doors still open somehow, the windshild smashed in..., and all of Lexington was DEMOLISHED,  I mean just flat out gone, other restraunts totally flattened. It was so sureal that I just cannot explain what it felt like.
I somehow got back into the car, got towards my house the best I could, but there was no getting home. Trees blocked all the roads. ( and back then there were no such things as cell phones, alteast I didn't have one)

So as I watch this tonight, my heart is gripped with fear.
Are my kids safe in the closet sleeping on the floor if I doze of at the wrong time tonight?
What if???

Then I remember who is in charge.

My LORD GOD never falls asleep.
He is always overseeing His Lambs.

O The Lord is my light and my salvation; Whom shall I fear? The Lord is the strength of my life; Of whom shall I be afraid? (Ps 27.1)

The Lord is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer; My God, my strength, in whom I will trust; My shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold. (Ps 18.1-2)

Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus. (Philip 4.6-7)

Whenever I am afraid, I will trust in You. (Psalm 56:3)
 
Thank you Dear Lord for your Word. For all that you give to me in my time of FEAR. These verses that I could go to have helped greatly to calm my nerves. Please calm my heart tonight, be near and help me through tonight. Help me to focus on your words to me straight from the Bible, rather than my fears of possiblities to come with this storm.....

3 comments:

  1. I am sorry that you were so fearful that you had to stay up all night... but I am glad to see that in doing so you were able to get some perspective on Who you put your trust in.... I do remember the tornado and I remember Jeanie Lyle finding you guys and taking her to her house for safety and then climbing in over the trees to make sure I knew you were safe... it was indeed a very fearful experience...sorry you missed sleep, but glad you were able to read scripture and think on HIM!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think we need to reconcile our memories! I recall that we were at McDonald's drive through, your windows were down, and a tree limb (it was relatively large) ended up in your car. I don't remember Bojangles or smashed windows. Not saying I'm correct, but I definitely remember differently. However, it was a traumatic experience. Sorry it still bothers you. Funny part is I was the one afraid of storms growing up and now they don't bother me at all. I'm actually in awe of them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Matt, you are totally right. It was McDonalds.
    The front window was somewhat smashed... don't remember the limb....????

    ReplyDelete